Lemongrass is one that every household should have, especially if you have athletes! Mixed in coconut oil, this is excellent to rub on sore ligaments or muscles. It is also used for purification and digestion. In Ayurvedic medicine it is used to reduce fevers and treat infections. It is often added to citrus scented perfumes and soaps.
Lemongrass has so many benefits. To name a few, it is:
- Considered to be antifungal, antibacterial, antiparasitic, anti-inflammatory
- It aides in regenerating connective tissue and ligaments
- It helps dilate blood vessels
- Improves circulation
- Promotes lymph flow
- Used to enhance skin health- a powerful skin toner
- Sharpens mental clarity
- In massage oils, it helps to increase skin/muscle tone and suppleness
- Used with great success in managing jet lag
- Is a great insect repellent in its pure form
- Used in foods
- Used in perfumes
- Used for bladder infections
- Used for respiratory and sinus infections
- Used for fluid retention
- Varicose veins
How to Use
Diffuse: to balance energy and calm the mind
Emotional Balance Blend: diffuse lemongrass, lavender, and cedar oils for a blend that promotes emotional health and well-being.
Topically: Lemongrass can be used when diluted, in a compress or the bath.
Jet Lag Blend: 4 drops lemongrass, 4 drops cajeput, 4 drops fragonia mixed in 15 ml Shea butter. Rub jetlag blend over the shoulders, neck, and hairline before, during, and after jet lag.
Radiant Skin Blend: 1 drop lemongrass diluted with several drops of witch hazel. This blend enhances your natural beauty!
Foot Blend: Massage 2-3 drops of lemongrass oil into the soles of your feet to soothe and eliminate itching.
Purifying Foot Soak: Add 6 drops of palmarosa, 3 drops of lemongrass, 3 drops of patchouli, and 2 drops of tea tree oil to warm water and soak your feet for a soothing effect.
Hair/Scalp Blend: 8 drops rosemary verbenone oil, 4 drops atlas cedar oil, 4 drops lemongrass oil, 4 drops peppermint and 4 drops lavender oil in 30 ml of jojoba oil. Adding 10% Argan oil will enhance this blend.
Lemongrass is a non-toxic, non-sensitizing oil, yet it may be a possible irritant to sensitive skin. Do not take lemongrass internally.